The City of Denton is working closely with state and county health officials as we monitor the developing impacts of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
The Denton County Public Health Department
is the local public health authority and will share the most updated information: www.dentoncounty.gov/coronavirus.
Information hotline: (940) 349-2585 (available weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
CITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & Press Releases
Denton City Council Adopts New Declaration of Disaster Order
Stay at Home Order is Extended to Align with Governor Abbott’s Executive Order GA-14
DENTON, TX, April 7, 2020 – On Monday, April 6, the Denton City Council voted to adopt a new Order of Council to supersede previous orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic. At Monday’s emergency meeting, in accordance with Gov. Greg Abbott’s Executive Order GA-14, issued on March 31, 2020, Council adopted the Stay-At-Home order for the city of Denton and authorized additional funding to assist individuals and families in need.
The declaration of disaster order shall be in effect beginning at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 6 and continuing through 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, April 30 or until otherwise acted upon by the Council.
Click here to read the declaration of disaster order for more information and specific clarifications and exceptions to the amended order. Check this page and visit www.dentoncounty.gov/coronavirus for additional updates.
City Service FAQs
To protect the health and safety of the community and our employees, and help minimize the potential spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), City Manager Todd Hileman has announced operational changes out of an abundance of caution. Certain City of Denton facilities will be closed, Municipal Court in-person proceedings will be temporarily suspended, and all City-sponsored events and programming at all facilities are temporarily suspended.
City Press Releases
- April 8, 2020- Council Petitioning State to Consider Additional Housing Protections for Unemployed Residents
- April 7, 2020- Denton City Council to Hold April 7 Emergency Meeting
- April 7, 2020- Denton City Council Adopts New Declaration of Disaster Order
- April 6, 2020- Denton City Council to Hold April 6 Emergency Meeting
- April 1, 2020- City Extends Facility Closures and Suspension of Events and Programming
- March 31, 2020- Governor Abbott Issues New Executive Order for State of Texas
- March 27, 2020- March 31 Special-Called City Council Meeting to be Held Remotely
- March 25, 2020- Message from Mayor Chris Watts
- March 24, 2020- Denton County, City of Denton Issue “Stay at Home” Mandates
- March 20, 2020, 8 p.m.- City Council Amends Declaration of Disaster Order, Postpones General & Special Election to November
- March 20, 2020, 11 a.m.- Emergency City Council Meeting for March 20
- March 17, 2020, 9:45 p.m.- Denton City Council Extends Declaration of Local Disaster for COVID-19
- March 17, 2020, 4:30 p.m.- City Announces Additional Facility Closures
- March 17, 2020, 10:30 a.m.- COVID-19 Designated as Qualifying Event for Small Business Association Economic Injury Disaster Loan
- March 16, 2020- City Announces Council Meeting Procedures During Disaster Period
- March 15, 2020- Denton PD Announces Temporary Response Protocol
- March 13, 2020, 5:30 p.m.- Mayor Issues Declaration of Local Disaster for COVID-19
- March 13, 2020, 1 p.m.- City Implements Precautionary Measures to Reduce COVID-19 Risk
- March 12, 2020- COVID-19 Information: City of Denton Working Closely with State and County Health Officials
Please check this page regularly for updates.