The Committee on Persons with Disabilities is an 11-person advisory board that was established on Oct. 23, 2018, by a resolution of the Denton City Council.
The duty of the Committee on Persons with Disabilities is to advise the City in areas of Committee interest, including, but not limited to, disability concerns such as accessibility and accommodations for City projects and activities. All recommendations shall be made by a majority vote of a quorum of the Committee.
City projects and activities may include the following:
- Construction of new and repairing existing sidewalks, ramps, and crosswalk features;
- The creation of an ADA Transition Plan;
- The planning and development of an adaptive/handicap accessible park;
- Provide guidance on incorporating new or enhanced signage at the City facilities;
- Advise on improvements for new and existing City facilities;
- Provide input on parking lot rehabilitation projects;
- Provide input for improving City operations; and
- Provide input for improving the operations of other entities.
The Committee meets at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month in the City Council Work Session Room at City Hall.
Marc Oliphant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator
Current membership of the Committee on Persons with Disabilities:
- Val Vera, Committee Chair
- Beth Haswell-Kirkby, Vice Chair
- Rex King
- Judy Thurmond
- Sonia Redwine
- Beth Haswell-Kirkby
- Alison Kelly
- Val Morgan
- Tammera Beckham
- Joe Rivas
- Sally Austin
ADA Coordinators for the City of Denton
If you have a question or a concern regarding accessibility or the ADA as it pertains to City of Denton employment, facilities, or rights-of-way (streets and sidewalks), please contact one of our ADA coordinators.
- Carla Romine (Employment)
- Dean Hartley (City Facilities)
- Todd Estes (Public Rights-of-Way)
COMMITTEE MEETING MATERIALS
COPWD meeting agendas, minutes, and recordings can be found on the Agendas & Minutes webpage
. Agendas for the Feb. 21 and March 21 meetings are below.
Additionally, recordings of COPWD meetings are available on the City of Denton YouTube channel
24 to 48 hours after the close of the meeting. Closed captioning is available through YouTube.